This is a post about this voice over job posted on Voice123.
What do you do when you have a creative project, need voice over talent, but you may not have resources to find strong investors for your creative project? Recently, we have learned that a funding platform site called Kickstarter has been used, before being posting voice over work on Voice123.
What is taking place?
- A “creative” is trying to get a project off the ground, and needs funding.
- He/she posts the creative project on Kickstarter, and ask for pledges to get it off the ground.
- See example here.
- As pledges are received, the creative director posts voice over work on Voice123 to find voice actors.
- There is a bit of a race against the clock for the creative director. ” This project will only be funded if at least $35,000 is pledged by Tuesday May 22, 7:36am EDT. “
Is this a case of, “Build it and hope they come”? No, and here is where the process gets very creative…
- No one “gives money”. There always has to be a reason we spend money on something.
- Those who pledge the most funds, now have the right to vote on who will be the chosen voice over. Why?
- Psychology of money…”If we pay, we want a say!”. As the project states… “You, our backers, get to pick his voice.”
- The “funders” now decide who the voice will be, or depending on how much is pledged, may have more creative control.
- Does this sound familiar? “I will help you if you give me an executive producer credit” 😀
What does this mean for the voice talent?
- You are first auditioning to support a creative project, and pay is uncertain at the start.
- You can, if you want, assist in the funding support for the very project for which you auditioned or were hired.
- You build experience, a reel, and network.
- Here is a Facebook page started after another Kickstarter project was posted on Voice123 called “Necrofusion”.
What does this mean for the voice seeker?
- I think there is a common thread to a voice seeker needing funds to start a project. You build a reel, experience, and network, BUT you are also starting a business venture.
- Is there a difference? We can all identify with the situation as creatives.
This story is not over! More to come…Later in the week, I will share the voice seeker’s feedback about using Voice123, and the voice talent who auditioned. (All good stuff and helpful)
Would you audition for the job mentioned in this post? Why or why not?